STEAM Week at Whitcomb
In June 2016, the Whitcomb School kicked off its transition to STEAM with a weeklong focus on STEAM-related lessons, activities and information. We'd like to share our weeklong kickoff - see below!
The following links will take you to various documents for STEAM Week.
- STEAM WEEK Lesson Plans (pdf)
- STEAM Week Brochure (pdf)
- Whitcomb Daily Schedule for STEAM Week (pdf)
Day 1 - Monday June 13
Board the Ship and Question Color! Understand STEAM and ask questions about colors
- STEAM Week Outline: Portuguese / Spanish
- Lesson 1A - Week Launch Lesson (pdf)
- Lesson 1B - Questioning Color (pdf)
- Lesson 1B - Questioning Color Graphic Organizer (pdf)
Day 2 - Tuesday, June 14
Visualizing Color! Explore what color means.
- Lesson 2 - Visualizing Colors (pdf)
- Lesson 2 - What is Color Entry 120 (pdf - Article)
- Lesson 2 - What is Color Entry 360 (pdf - Article)
Day 3 - Wednesday, June 15
Why do I feel blue? Consider the emotional qualities and association of each hue.
- Lesson 3 - Why do I feel blue? (pdf)
- Lesson 3 - Why do I feel blue poem template (pdf - graphic organizer)
- Updated Diamante Poem Structure:The Structure of a Diamante Poem
- A diamante poem is made up of 7 lines using a set structure:
- 1st Line : 1 word (Name the color)
- 2nd Line : 2 Describing words (adjectives) about line 1
- 3rd Line: 3 verbs OR 3 words that describe the smell or texture of the color
- 4th Line : A 4- 6 word phrase description of something that you associate with that color
- 5th Line : 3 words A prepositional phrase (a where phrase about the color - in the _____, by the ______)
- 6th Line: 2 Adjectives OR a 2 word phrase about line 1
- 7th Line : End subject (1 word)
- An example of a diamante poem written about color (by Mrs. Demuth):
Dark, Fuzzy, musty
Grandma’s vast china living room
That big house
Day 4 - Thursday, June 15
Color the world! Mix, create and name hues.
Day 5 - Friday, June 16
What's in a name? Select and vote on a team name.
- Lesson 5 - What's in a name? (pdf)
- Lesson 5 - What's in a name / Pick your hue graphic organizer (pdf)