Raymond C. Richer
February 10, 1910 – October 5, 1986
Raymond Camille Richer was born on February 10, 1910 at 54 South Street, Marlborough. He was the seventh child and fifth son of Louis Napoleon Richer (03/20/1872 - 09/29/1916) and Rose-Anna Marchand (08/15/1878 - 04/10/1971).
His father had been born in Brookfield, Massachusetts and his mother was born in Hopkinton, Massachusetts. At the time of Raymond’s birth his father was the Superintendent of Streets and Sewers in Marlborough. Mr. Richer had previously been elected to the Board of Aldermen 1905 – 1908 in Marlborough.
When he was six years old his father died suddenly of cancer leaving his mother to raise eight children alone.
He attended St. Anthony’s Parochial School on Broad Street in Marlborough for eight years. He went on to Marlborough High School graduating as class president in 1929. While at MHS he was very involved in sports playing on the football team, of which he was the captain his senior year, basketball, and baseball. He also appeared in several plays.
Because of a full football scholarship, he was able to attend the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts, where he also participated in sports.
Upon graduation in 1933 he got a job as a teacher at the Lyman School for Boys, a state reform school in Westborough, Massachusetts where he lived at the cottage with the students.
While in college he met his future wife, Anne Lenora Michaud, from Eagle Lake, Maine. At the time she was a student studying languages at Regis College. As it was the time of the great depression, they decided to postpone their marriage, so after graduation she returned to teach in Maine for four years. In 1937, Raymond was appointed Principal at Lyman School and a house came with the job, so on July 10, 1937 they were married.
They lived and worked at Lyman School for 16 years, spending the summers in Maine with her family. They had four children: Claire L, born March 24, 1938; Robert Raymond, born January 10, 1942; Anne Louise, born December 19, 1942; and John Arthur, born February 17, 1948. While he was at Lyman School he earned his M.Ed. degree from Boston University.
In April, 1953 he was appointed Superintendent of Schools in his hometown of Marlborough, a position he was to hold for 23 years until his retirement in May, 1975. Under his guidance the school system greatly changed and grew.
The Charles J. Jaworek School, the Francis J. Kane School and the Raymond C. Richer School were built. Also the present Whitcomb School on Union Street was built as a high school and the high school (now the Walker Building) on Main Street became a Middle School. The four “in-town” schools - the John J. Mitchell School (now the Boys/Girls Club), The Bessie D. Freeman School (the District Education Center), the Bigelow School and the Hildreth School - were renovated and received large additions. At the end of his tenure, the present high school on Bolton Street was planned. Along with the population changes there were many changes in education during the 23 years he was Superintendent.
After he retired, he planted a big garden and enjoyed time with his children and his eight grandchildren, five of whom graduated from Marlborough High School. He and Lenora spent seven winters in Bradenton, Florida until she died in June of 1982. Alter she was gone he preferred to stay in Marlborough close to his family.
In the fall of 1984 he ran for a seat on the Marlborough School Committee and won. He was back where he belonged, working for his beloved school system and its students. He was also active with the Marlborough Hospital Board, the Marlborough Rotary Club and the board of directors of the Marlborough Savings Bank. Most of all he loved his contact with the schools.
He died October 5, 1986 of a heart attack following surgery. He was always a hometown boy and probably his happiest times were when he was serving the City of Marlborough. He is buried with his wife at the Evergreen Cemetery in Marlborough.
Submitted by Claire Morrison, daughter, September 2006